ISSB Tests and Procedures
Inter Services Selection Board commonly known as ISSB is a premier national institution which selects future leadership for the armed forces of Pakistan. ISSB for last seven decades has been fulfilling this esteemed task with commitment, un-doubted devotion and prestige. ISSB centre Kohat, Gujranwala, Malir and Quetta are systematically located to facilitate candidates appearing from length and breadth of the country. Candidates appearing at ISSB are subjected to an elaborate selection system and the ones with requisite leadership potentials are recommended to undergo training in the three services academies.
ISSB follows a three dimensional selection process. The psychologist dimension uncovers the subconscious of the candidate through carefully designed tests. The GTO dimension observes the candidates’ behaviour in a group settings through situational tests while the deputy dimension analyses the candidates’ intellect, emotional pattern and social behaviour through interview.
The structure and design of activities at ISSB are flexible and are regularly adjusted to meet the specific requirements of the armed forces. ISSB selection process is extensive and will last for four days. It involves an innovative and creative range of individual and group assessment methods, activities and sessions designed to provide an opportunity for the selectors to correctly assess the personality of the candidates. This is how the final picture of a candidate emerges reflecting three dimensions of his personality. The Board then decides about the final result and either recommends a candidate for further training or decides not to recommend a candidate being unsuitable for military training. The results are communicated to respective services headquarters who make the final merit list and thus a fresh batch of cadets report to their academies at time and date set by the respective services headquarters.
Ineligibility for ISSB
Candidate is ineligible if he/she is :
- Permanently declared UNFIT (PUF) by Appeal Medial Board (AMB).
- Tested within four months (120 days) gap of previous appearance (for Not Recommended candidates).
- Tested within one year validity period. (As validity of ISSB/GHQ/AHQ Selection Boards stands for one year).
- Withdrawn from any Academy/Training Institution of Armed Forces on any ground.
- Withdrawn from any bonded Armed Forces college/institution on disciplinary grounds.
- Dismissed/removed/debarred from Govt Services including Armed Forces.
- Convicted in a court of Law for an offence involving moral turpitude.
- Declared medically unfit due to Hepatitis B & C (in such cases Appeal Medical Board cannot be requested).
- Declared unfit by any Armed Forces Hospital except those cleared by Appeal Medical Board.